Thursday, March 22, 2018

Fatty Alcohols and Polymers are complete bullshit.

My hair been saying for years that the concept of a "fatty" alcohol is a lie. To my hair, alcohol is alcohol. Guess what, glycerin is an alcohol too. Because it's almost impossible to avoid alcohol, "fatty" or otherwise, in hair products, the first five ingredients listed on any product must be natural. i.e. Water or aloe then a mix of four oils or butters.
Additionally, I will never use a product that contains a polymer. i.e. Polyquaterniums, hydroxyethylcellulose, etc. Polymers are just plastics. Yes, they make my hair nice and shiny, but like any plastic. it seals to keep out moisture. Without naming names, pretty much every commercial hair gel is loaded with polymers. If you've ever been baffled by how gel makes your hair so shiny and defined...yet dry at the same time...plastic.
I'm an avid label reader and very few products meet my criteria...this is speaking as a former product junkie. As little as three years ago, there was a plethora of high quality products. Now everything is just a little tub of alcohol, plastic and/or wax. Unfortunately, once everyone and their momma began to peddle natural hair products, formulations began to change for the worse and a lot of trash flooded the market.
Personally, I only purchase Camille Rose Algae Renew (and a back-up that I'm testing) as conditioner, a natural soap (without sodium palmitate) as a shampoo and my olive oil/shea butter blend as a leave-in. For a styler, I only use a botanical gel...flaxseed...that I make myself. My hair holds moisture and shines pretty well. I do want to learn to make my own conditioner just in case the brand mentioned gets some fancy ideas about changing the formulation.

No comments:

Post a Comment